The UGA Public Service and Outreach Facilitation Academy is a professional development program that provides PSO faculty and staff the opportunity to cultivate effective facilitation, leadership and presentation skills.
The curriculum incorporates core competencies that address the set of skills, knowledge and behaviors needed to facilitate in a wide variety of environments. The skills and tools participants learn through training will aid them in:
- Creating collaborative client relationships;
- Planning appropriate group processes;
- Creating and sustaining participatory environments;
- Guiding groups to appropriate and useful outcomes; and
- Building professional knowledge and modeling positive professional approaches.
Purpose and Goals
- Offer a professional development program to PSO faculty and staff who would like to use facilitation and process design in their work but who do not consider themselves facilitators or have not received formal training.
- Enhance the facilitation and process design capacity of current PSO faculty and staff by broadening and deepening their knowledge and skills.
- Enhance the collective capacity of PSO faculty and staff to make them the provider of first-choice for facilitation and process design work in public settings throughout the state.
- Create a network of internal facilitation and process consultants through peer modeling, mentoring and learning.
- Offer facilitation training, education, development and certification to current and prospective practitioners within and possibly outside UGA.
The academy is open to PSO and UGA Extension faculty and staff. Participants must be nominated by a director, department head or dean. The academy will begin each year in January and include 5 two-day modules throughout the year. For consideration, participants must commit to attend all sessions.
PSO will begin accepting nominations for the 2019 Facilitation Academy in October 2018.
For questions, contact Steve Dempsey, associate vice president for public service and outreach, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 706-542-6167.