Ten UGA undergraduate students have been selected as Public Service and Outreach Student Scholars for 2011-2012.
The Student Scholars program, established this spring, provides a cohort of undergraduate students with the opportunity to explore and engage with the university’s public service and outreach mission. Supported by the Office of the Vice President for Public Service and Outreach, this yearlong program provides undergraduate students with an experience that includes group activities to explore the purpose, breadth and depth of public service and outreach, and an internship in a PSO unit. The program helps students relate these experiences to their educational and career goals as well as a community of undergraduate student scholars who understand the role of public service and outreach in Georgia, and more broadly.
Undergraduates selected to be PSO Student Scholars meet as a cohort throughout fall semester and participate in community site visits and retreats. During spring semester, each student scholar undertakes a 150-hour internship in a PSO unit under the guidance of a faculty mentor.
The 2011-2012 PSO Student Scholars have majors and minors in seven of UGA’s schools and colleges, hold an average GPA of 3.68 and represent the geographic, ethnic and linguistic diversity of UGA’s student body. The 2011-2012 PSO Student Scholars are:
- Lauren Anderson, a third-year international affairs major minoring in geography; she will serve her internship with the Carl Vinson Institute of Government.
- Uzma Chowdhury, a third-year political science and English double major minoring in Spanish and Arabic; she will serve her internship with the Fanning Institute.
- Douglas Hernandez, a second-year biology major; he will serve his internship with the State Botanical Garden of Georgia.
- Madison Lamar, a third-year Spanish major minoring in public health and child and family development; she will serve her internship with the Archway Partnership.
- Katie Beth Lusk, a third-year women’s studies and international affairs double major minoring in environmental law; she will serve her internship with the Office of Service-Learning.
- Amelia Marable, a third-year psychology and advertising double major; she will serve her internship with the Georgia Center for Continuing Education Conference Center and Hotel.
- Cara Murray, a fourth-year international affairs and Spanish double major minoring in music; she will serve her internship with the Office of the Vice President for Public Service and Outreach.
- Matt Passarello, a third-year economics dual-degree (bachelor’s and master’s) major minoring in French; he will serve his internship with the Fanning Institute.
- Molin Wang, a third-year accounting major; he will serve his internship with the Small Business Development Center.
- Amy Wong, a second-year environmental health science major; she will serve her internship with the Marine Extension Service.