Georgians can now benefit from a free Rain Garden smartphone app that features plants, sizing and soils information for 13 states. UGA Marine Extension EcoScapes manager Keren Giovengo collaborated with a team from the University of Connecticut that expanded the tool to help promote sustainable landscaping.
In addition to the numerous nationwide tools, the app features:
- Georgia plant selector tool with a Georgia rain garden native plant database developed by the UGA EcoScapes Program to select regionally appropriate native plants suited to the user’s location;
- Georgia soil drainage maps to determine if a rain garden’s placement is appropriate based on soil type;
- Google Maps-based sizing tool to measure and determine rain garden size based on the size of the area draining to the location;
- Georgia “Call Before You Dig” contact; and
- Integration of Georgia stormwater standards to determine the appropriate size of the rain garden.